Never pay for shipping again.
- Best served fried or baked
- A staple in African, Caribbean and Central American cuisine
- Sweet plantains have the starchiness of a potato, with the flavor of a banana
- Brand may vary by club
Keep sweet Plantains (5 lbs.) on hand to enjoy a unique and exotic fruit that can be prepared several delicious ways. They're known as cooking bananas, since plantains are starchier than regular bananas and take better to frying and other cooking applications.
This five-pound bundle of sweet plantains offers you plenty of delicious chances to enjoy a unique and hearty fruit. It's most commonly used in Central American, Latin American, Caribbean and African cuisines, though is steadily gaining popularity in cuisines across the globe. Yellow plantains may look a lot like bananas and have a similar sweet taste and like health benefits (they're a great source of potassium, magnesium, vitamins B6 and C), the similarities stop there. Plantains boast a texture that is most like a potato and can take several days until they reach peak ripeness. To speed along the ripening process so you can get down to enjoying them, place sweet plantains and an apple into a paper bag and fold to seal. The apple will oxidize and help the plantain ripen faster.
Who Will Enjoy Unique and Sweet Plantains?
Anyone who loves trying something new! It's hard not to like yellow plantains when you try them—they're sweet, hearty and distinct. Once you know how to prepare them, they'll likely become a new favorite in your household. They're also a staple in restaurants and catering services that specialize in global cuisines or are just passionate about serving gourmet and unexpected foods to their customers.
How Should I Serve Yellow Plantains?
There are so many great ways to enjoy sweet plantains! Just keep in mind that they're best served baked or fried, so you don't want to eat them right out of their peel like you would a banana. Here are a couple of delicious ways to enjoy yellow plantains:
- Make Latin American-inspired tostones—slice a ripe plantain and pound each piece until it's flat disk. Fry in the pan with oil of choice. Once browned, set to dry on a paper towel. Fry again once cooled. Season with salt and serve with garlic aioli or a flavored mayo of choice.
- Sweet and savory plantain pancakes—whip up your favorite pancake batter, add chopped ripe plantains, ginger, scallions and sweet onions and pan fry until golden.
- Classic-style—slice ripe plantains crosswise and pan-fry in a skillet until golden and aromatic. Remove, blot and place in a bowl of water with garlic and choice seasonings for one minute. Pat dry and fry again.
You should expect to receive your refund within four weeks of giving your package to the return shipper, however, in many cases you will receive a refund more quickly. This time period includes the transit time for us to receive your return from the shipper (5 to 10 business days), the time it takes us to process your return once we receive it (3 to 5 business days), and the time it takes your bank to process our refund request (5 to 10 business days).
If you need to return an item, simply login to your account, view the order using the 'Complete Orders' link under the My Account menu and click the Return Item(s) button. We'll notify you via e-mail of your refund once we've received and processed the returned item.
We can ship to virtually any address in the world. Note that there are restrictions on some products, and some products cannot be shipped to international destinations.
Please also note that the shipping rates for many items we sell are weight-based. The weight of any such item can be found on its detail page. To reflect the policies of the shipping companies we use, all weights will be rounded up to the next full pound.